Buying a second, non-holiday home

People from the European Union or EFTA states who commute across the border to work in Switzerland with a G permit can buy a secondary home in the area of their place of work without authorisation.

The buyer must occupy the residence for as long as he or she works in the area as a cross-border commuter. The buyer cannot rent it out, even in part, and the land registry will not, as a rule, enter a transaction immediately if the real estate surface area exceeds 1,000 sq. metres but will refer the purchaser to the appropriate authorisation body.